MUSCLE SHOALS, ALA. — Northwest Shoals Community College (NWSCC) was selected from a competitive field of community colleges across the country to receive $100,000 to transform the future of students in the community. Funded by Metallica’s All Within My Hands (AWMH) and led by the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC), the Metallica Scholars Initiative was designed to directly support students while also elevating the importance of career and technical education. This work is highlighted at a global level by leveraging the influence of Metallica who continue to speak out on the dignity of professional trades and community colleges that prepare students.
The Metallica Scholars Initiative is now in its third year and has fundamentally improved the earning potential for students who become Metallica Scholars. NWSCC intends to prioritize students in programs leading to careers in the Advanced Manufacturing and Construction industries. Metallica Scholars will be showcased to promote varying skilled trade pathways as a means to economic development.
“The foundation and the band pay attention and follow these programs and students, and there is no doubt that lives have been changed. What makes this work so unique is that in addition to supporting students directly, our goal is not just to change individual lives, it is to unabashedly promote the trades as meaningful and well-paying career pathways. We are not afraid to be loud nor to dig in on things we believe in, and we believe in these students,” said Dr. Edward Frank, executive director of AWMH.
“We are proud to work with Metallica to advance the career and technical education provided by the nation’s community colleges,” said Walter G. Bumphus, AACC’s president and CEO. “Colleges across the country provide pathways to well-paying jobs through programs, services and training that lead to in-demand skills, certificates and degrees for students. These programs are responsive to the needs of local businesses and provide a pipeline of qualified workers to local industry. It’s a win-win for our students and the local economy. For Metallica to continue to invest in these students and communities is a testament to the power of the workforce education community colleges provide and we are proud to do this work with them.”
James Hetfield, Metallica’s vocalist/guitarist and co-founder said, “As a touring entity we are in direct involvement with multiple essential career choices along our path. From electrical, professional driving, culinary, mechanical maintenance, public safety, logistical organizers. And that just scratches the surface. Those, along with a multitude of other technical careers, make our touring and our performances possible. We are passionate and grateful to these trades and tradespeople.”
The MSI sites to date are:
- Northwest Shoals Community College, Muscle Shoals, Alabama
- Pima County Community College, Tucson, Arizona
- Hartnell College, Salinas, California
- Victor Valley College, Victorville, California
- Polk State College, Winter Haven, Florida
- Valencia College, Orlando, Florida
- North Idaho College, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Clinton Community College, Clinton, Iowa
- College of Lake County, Grayslake, Illinois
- Wichita State University Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology, Wichita, Kansas
- Elizabethtown Community and Technical College, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
- Community College of Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland
- Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Central Community College, Grand Island, Nebraska
- Westchester Community College, Valhalla, New York
- Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Clackamas Community College, Oregon City, Oregon
- Columbia Gorge Community College, The Dalles, Oregon
- Lone Star College, The Woodlands, Texas
- Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale, Virginia
- Spokane Community College, Spokane, Washington
- Gateway Technical College, Kenosha, Wisconsin
- West Virginia University Parkersburg, Parkersburg, West Virginia
About All Within My Hands (AWMH):
All Within My Hands (AWMH) was established in 2017 by Metallica as a means to invest in the people and places that have supported the band. It also provides a mechanism for Metallica’s fans to become engaged in philanthropy and volunteerism. The Foundation is focused on supporting sustainable communities through workforce education, the fight against hunger, and other critical local services, and is fully supported by the band, the AWMH board, and by fans. All expenses of the Foundation are covered by the band, the board, and a few special friends, so that 100% of donations go to the organizations it supports. AWMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, please visit www.allwithinmyhands.org.